So I've been doing a bit of research about hip labral tears. Turns out A-Rod is out until June with the same issue. It occurs more frequently in persons/athletes who put a lot of torque in their hips - i.e. baseball, soccer, hockey, golf or tennis. The article says he is on painkillers... wimp. Haha. Ok, so I've taken some Aleve. I was offered something stronger but declined. No HGH has been offered either. And I would turn it down.
Hip Repair Video/Photos
There are people out there who say you don't need surgery to fix a torn labrum. They suggest it's related to mobility issues and that massage or active release will correct the problem and there will be no pain. Cool. However... I have done those things multiple times and have worked on my mobility. Yes, I have weakened hip muscles on the left side due to the fact that there is a consistent amount of pain related to flexion of the left hip, or lack thereof. The massage and active release, along with acupuncture definitely helped release some of the pain. However, the underlying pain is specifically related to the clicking that occurs when the femur rubs into the labrum, which is torn. Additionally, the pressure placed into the joint and the musculature surrounding it causes additional nerve pain that shoots from the hip down to the left two toes. It is consistent every night.
As I mentioned before, I am waiting for surgery until April 24 so that I can complete the Open. I was told to stay away from jarring movements, running, lunges, squats, box jumps. I have also found that rowing and GHD movements cause pain.
The good news is, I am not likely to cause more damage. I can keep my pain tolerance in check with foam rolling and listening to my body. I haven't stopped training, even after the awesome news. Why should I? I know what causes the pain, so I don't do it. I work around it. I will definitely be stopping after the surgery, but only for as long as I have to. If I can move, I am going to train. I did when I broke my leg in half and twisted my foot nearly 180 degrees. There are others who didn't stop either.
Sam Briggs - Broken patella
Miranda Oldroyd - broken neck
Kate Rawlings - torn achilles
Don't get me wrong, I know I am not a professional baseball player or elite CrossFitter. However, I do have a strong sense of self and what I know I can and can't do. I am not stupid either. I know my limits with this injury. I know where it limits me right now, where I will be limited later. What I don't know is what my hip will be like once the surgery is finished and the recovery begins. I do know that I will be whatever it takes to not wallow in self-pity. Get back after it. There are others who have endured much worse and who rise to the top.
For example, today while my fellow coaches did 8x500m row on the 3 minutes, I did 250m row and 50 double unders. By the fourth round within the 24 minutes, I could feel my hip start to ache, so I tried to limit my extension and flexion. This helped me to finish the workout and I did so in pretty much the same time frame as they did. Cardiovascularly, I was challenged, likely as much as they were, it was just due to a different stimulus.
So back to the surgery, it will be my first surgery. I've had broken bones, sprains, strains, etc., but this is my first surgery. I am not nervous about the hip being dislocated, the skin being pierced by the arthroscopic tools, the shaving of the hip bone or the implantation of dissolvable screws into my labrum/hip. Nope, I don't want to be put under. Who knows what kind of stuff I will say when I wake up! Haha.
I will find a way to modify. I will find a way to train.
10 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment