Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Introduction

Thanks to one of your fellow athletes, Cristina, I have decided to share my experience as a means to educate and help you all become better and stronger athletes.  Plus, it helps me deal with the issue as well.  The issue I am referring to is a recent diagnosis of a torn left hip labrum.

This is the right hip, but you can see where the femur would roll within the labrum.

What this means right now is that I have been in pain for a good reason.

As it turns out, my left hip bone is a bit too long along the top and therefore my hip labrum is being hit by my femur every time I bend my leg and it is worsened through heavy lifting and explosive movements.  Over time, this incorrect positioning has added improper joint movement, which eventually led to the tear.  The labrum allows for my joint to move freely. There is also fluid in there to keep it nice and loose.  At this point, due to the tear, fluid now fills up behind the labrum and into my hip.  Needless to say, the pain was real. I didn't imagine it and thankfully ... it has nothing at all to do with my training.

Here is the bottom line: Torn left hip labrum, extra long hip joint along the top, fluid in the joint, minor arthritis.

Lessons learned: Injuries may not always be related to activity. Don't ignore pain.

One of my biggest fears was that I was doing something wrong. As a coach, I pride myself on helping my athletes become stronger through proper motion in mechanics, aided by mobility.  In my case, the tear was anatomical.  This was discovered via some tests and a visit to the hip specialist doctor.  They also discovered I have some minor arthritis in the joint, but this was not the issue.

MRI Report


I noticed the pain back in October, but thought it was just weak hip flexors and adductor.  So, I worked on those things and saw Dr. Molly and even had acupuncture. All of these things helped alleviate the soreness, but they weren't correcting the issue.  Little did I know at the time, there was nothing either method could do to help. Surgery was going to be the best option.

The bummer news is that I will have to arthroscopic surgery to repair the torn labrum and shave down the bone so that the joint moves properly again.  However, the upside is that I will return to 95%. I am shooting for better than that of course.  The surgery is about an hour long and is in and out.  They will dislocate my hip, repair the labrum and shave the bone. I will be on crutches for around 2 weeks, then start physical therapy.  Recovery time is expected to be 4-6 months.  If I don't have surgery, the tear could worsen and of course then if there is no labrum, the bones just rub onto one another and eventually I would need a hip replacement altogether.

As soon as I am able to return to training I will.  Meaning, when I can stand to move myself to the bar, dumbbells, rower, whatever, I will.  I will be modifying everything.  So, yes, Raleigh CrossFitters, for those of you who always say, I'm sorry that I have to ask you to modify, and I say, I don't mind at all ... I really don't.  Now you can help me to modify :).

Anyway, I scheduled the surgery so that I could continue to do the open. The doctor said it's pain tolerant, but to not to do movements that are jarring to the joint. Hmmm... box jumps, running, those of course all jar the joint.  I am not one to complain, so I won't. There are no excuses. I will carry on until I have surgery and then I will carry on from there. Surgery is scheduled for Wed., April 24.

I just have to "pain manage."  Not a problem. I've done it since October.

As things progress I will keep posting on this blog.  Feel free to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Wow,I was suprised to see this blog. I will keep you in my prayers and I wish I was closer to you (in distance). I love you and miss you.
    Aunt Judy and John

    ReplyDelete